Monday, January 2, 2012

Being Knit in the New Year


2011 was not my best year. I'm quite happy to see her go. 

It was, in fact, my hardest year. But I never cease to be amazed by beauty's stubbornness, her ability to shine bright and make herself known even through the darkest nights. 

I've learned that life never gets bad enough to shut her down altogether. Beauty, in her many forms, has become my steadfast muse.

Still, there are seasons of life that leave us a bit unraveled. As a sweet friend just said to me in an email, May God knit you tight this year. Perfectly said. 

But I think He'll have trouble knitting me tight if I don't stay still. My husband and I have taken some fairly extreme measures to allow for stillness, space and rest...all in hopes that some much-needed healing will come about. {More on the extreme measures later.}

So it seems a bit silly to resolve to do anything this year. Doing takes effort and effort may seem counterintuitive to rest. But there are some things I do to fuel rest in my life: reading, writing, simplicity. I plan to incorporate a few of these life-giving disciplines in hopes that I may come out a bit more whole on the other side. 

Because to me, wholeness means fullness and fullness overflows into the lives of others, specifically into my husband and children. Having space and quiet, it feels indulgent and selfish. But the wise few who speak truth into my life, they tell me that it's necessary right now, that it will have a trickle-down effect. 

I pray they're right. 

As I type this, my "reserve battery power" message reminds me that I better plug in soon or the laptop will go dead. I smile at the irony. I've been running on reserve battery power for a long time. 

It's a year to plug in and power up. 

What about you? What is it The Year Of for you?

9 comments:

  1. It's interesting that the first day of 2011 was awful for me and I assumed the year would pan out that way too. However, it registers as a year that I probably won't remember much about- not overly hard, not overly easy- just average.

    My word for 2012 is "completion" and my goal is to complete things I've started. Now THAT might prove to be hard! :)

    Hope your 2012 is way better than 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of being knit tight and having to hold still for that process. Oh to be still in this world of go, go, go and do, do, do. Thank you for this post and these reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. friend, it was a hard year for me, too.

    honestly. i'm worn flat out.

    but. i'm steeping myself in the same process. silencing a good bit of life around me so that i can catch on to the core stuff.

    praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog through Chatting at the Sky-your name spoke to me - my word for the year is ACCEPT..accept my faults, accept my children as they are not what and how I want them to be...and LISTEN to them instead of talking at them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, this is the year of "widening margins." Some of the "wise few" who are speaking into my life seem to have joined forces and it is a resounding chorus in my ears!

    LYF,
    MOM

    BTW, I love you and your writing. Just wanted to say it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, this year is all about letting go of some things, and taking charge of some others. I may have finally figured out how to tell which things are which.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember to function at 75% capacity. That way you always have a reserve.
    And yes, use the good dishes!!!!
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are times I see God's hand in the blogs I find...yours is one of those He hand picked for me. The thoughts you share in your writing are so amazingly like those in my own heart. Please keep your posts coming...you are impacting lives with the life you live and the words you share. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momof3Boys, wherever you are, thank you. Those are some of the kindest words ever shared here. : )

    Love, Scooper

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin