Friday, February 28, 2014

10 Things I Learned In February





I love these posts. They provide an opportunity to walk on the lighter side of life as I share the stuff I've learned this month. 

The What We Learned posts are hosted by Emily over at Chatting at the Sky as a "monthly community link-up to share the fascinating, ridiculous, sacred, or small." 


Mine is mostly just ridiculous. 


Want to know more of what I'm talking about? Go here.

In no particular order, here are ten things I've learned in February.


::


1. If I don't unpack a duffel back within 48 hours of returning from a trip, it may sit there for two months. 

We went to Florida before Christmas. My unpacked bag is still in my closet. I've also learned that slackerness tends to beget slackerness. The unpacked bag has managed to spread its slothful contagion to the rest of the closet and the entire area is now a full-fledged epidemic of clothing chaos. Every day I write "clean the closet" on my to-do list and every day it mocks me in its still-unchecked state. At this point I'm contemplating just leaving the duffel bag packed for our beach trip in June. 



2. I can cut my food budget almost in half without clipping coupons. {or making everything from scratch}



3. A dusting of snow down south will get you out of school for almost a week. And provide many days of jokes about "milk sandwiches."



4. Papa John's makes heart-shaped pizzas for Valentine's Day. We may have started a tradition with this one.





5. How to fake a monogram. {for moms like me who don't know how to sew} 


My daughter is a fan of the monogram. We took this ho-hum navy gym bag and turned it into something preppy and cute.





Just print a monogram online. Trace it onto an iron-on transfer sheet. Cut it out and iron. 

A word of warning: If you are ironing the monogram onto a nylon gym bag, please place a towel flat inside the gym bag to prevent melting the front and back of the bag together. If you realize that you have in fact done this in error, quickly and carefully attempt to peel the layers apart and try not to let the molten nylon burn off your fingerprints in the process. 



6. My favorite Easter treats are the Cadbury mini-eggs. Anyone else? The mini-bags are just 99 cents and buy one get one free this week at CVS. The mini-bags are great because you don't have to worry about eating so many. Unless you keep going back to CVS to purchase additional mini bags, all the while rationalizing that they are essentially just samples. Well-played mini-bag. Well-played. 



7. When my 6-year-old confesses anything or hatches various plans to his best friend while standing in the front yard shrubs and I am working at my desk right next to the front windows, I can hear every. single. word. 


Yesterday's bit of surveillance revealed that he got in trouble at school and had to move his clip. {Who has super-powers? This mom, that's who.} When I brought it up at dinner, he looked at me as though I were telepathic. Please don't tell him. I will only be able to blow his mind in this way for another year or two and I am taking full advantage.



8. I don't feel ready to have a teenager. But like it or not, my girl turns 13 on Sunday. 


The embarrassing and ironic part is that on any given day, I feel we are complete equals regarding our emotional maturity level. I fear that I may never outgrow being easily overwhelmed, ridiculously irrational, and paralyzed by everyday decisions. As you might imagine, having two of our kind in the same house is all sorts of fun and not at all overwhelming for anyone, especially not my long-suffering husband.



9. How to watercolor without being a real artist. You've probably heard of Waterlogue by now. If not, it's an iPhone app that allows you to turn any photo into a watercolored work of art. 


Here's a photo I snapped with my phone of Cinderella's castle.





Here it is in Waterlogue. 




I'm addicted. 

My friend, Richella, did a great tutorial on how to print Waterlogue photos and turn them into real art for your home.



10. What celebrities would look like as normal people. With the Oscars fast approaching, this link just seems timely and right. I'll give you a peek. 


Brad & Angelina.



 


You're welcome. If you tune in to the red carpet interviews this Sunday night and begin to feel just a tad frumpy and less-than in your sweatpants and drugstore mascara, close your eyes and visualize your favorite celebrity sans million-dollar stylist, personal trainer, Spanx, and couture gown. Picture this middle-class, middle-America Brad and Angelina, the ones who never got famous and splurged on a portrait session at the Walmart photo center. You'll feel a thousand times better. 


Happy Oscars weekend, friends!



::

So, what have you learned this month?



Interested in having each post from a la mode delivered to your e-mail inbox? You can do that near the top of the right sidebar. Just enter your e-mail address in the subscribe box. You can unsubscribe anytime you like.


31 comments:

  1. That real life celebrity thing NEVER gets old. NEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your list. You had me at #1 (says the girl with the unpacked suitcase at the foot of her bed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has the same initials as your daughter! I missed having the V so I started using my maiden name as my middle name. Makes my monogram more interesting!

    Having a teenage girl is FUN! My oldest in 15, and even though I was terrified of the teenage years, they've been wonderful. I'm learning a lot about myself through my girl. Don't we all?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the enneagram test! I've been meaning to email or text but I haven't. I scored as a 9...a peacemaker. I was sure, sure, sure I'd be a 4. It WAS my next highest score and it turns out peacemakers have little bits of all the personalities in them (although I am in no way like the go-getterish types). Maybe I go between the two? Would you be shocked? I confuse even myself but I guess what it comes down to is that I am creative and romantic, but maybe I value peace and avoidance of tension over that. So. We can still share a brain most of the time :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can definitely see you as a 9. With a hefty dose of 4 of course. : ) I've got a lot of peacemaking tendencies too. See? We can still share a brain.

      Delete
  5. Hey! Found you from Emily's linkup. TOTALLY with you on the Cadbury mini eggs. And I had no idea about the Papa John's heart-shaped pizza! I'll have to do that for my husband next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your mommy super powers! How funny!

    Those celebrity pictures are hilarious and make me feel so much better about looking ordinary.

    And about unpacking, I have to do that as soon as I get home from anywhere. Otherwise, it becomes like a 300 pound noose around my neck and I never seem to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Middle American Bradgellina is my favorite EVER. That is just perfect.

    And this is why we are instant friends "I fear that I may never outgrow being easily overwhelmed, ridiculously irrational, and paralyzed by everyday decisions." - Yes. Amen. Me too times 1 million.

    xo,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must also tell you that for some reason the Google choice here pulls my old blogger profile - which is totally weird. But I can't help but comment here. So I'm willing to go there for you. :)

      Delete
  8. I have to do that as soon as I get home from anywhere. Otherwise,
    goldenslot
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve been writing essays for how many years and today I’m more on academic essay writing and I’m happy to be like my dad, a professional writer..Read more Kim kardashian sex tape and Mia Khalifa Sex video and Sunny Leone Sexy Movie

    ReplyDelete
  10. HealRun is a health news blog we provide the latest news about health, Drugs and latest Diseases and conditions. We update our users with health tips and health products reviews. If you want to know any information about health or health product (Side Effects & Benefits) Feel Free To ask HealRun Support Team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Supplements For Fitness are meticulously purified to remove heavy metals such as mercury, lead, PCBs and other toxins, as well as to reduce the incidence of rancidity and improve the taste and quality of the fish. How fish oil can cure inflammation:

    https://www.supplementsforfitness.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quit 9 To 5 Academy Review is a place for beginners and experts in the field of affiliate marketing and for those who want to leave their 9 to 5 job and start their own business in this platform.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eat Stop Eat Brad Pilon program was one of the foremost and is not actually counted as one of the fads. It is your crucial guide but using the latest science for intermittent fasting to attain simple yet effective weight loss results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Testo Ultra : C’est comment éviter de travailler avec la santé masculine de cette façon. Je peux prendre testostérone Booster pour acquis parfois. Gardez cela à l’esprit: je vous offre quelques nouveaux morceaux de nouvelles. Je suis assez certain de cette approche de la santé masculine.

    http://revuesdefaits.fr/testoultra/

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Probiotic supplement helps to balance good bacteria and in this regard, Probiotic t 50 review is creating buzz. How far is the supplement reliable and worth considering, you will come to know about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. keto ignite is a weight loss formula that is primarily formulated by keto diet. In that diet plan, you don’t take carbohydrates, but also you rely on proteins and fats. This Keto Ignite ketogenic weight reduction formula is excellent for creating your body slim since it can bring your own body in ketosis condition. There are lots of people who have tried this out weight loss for this, and they’ve got excellent results. Visit On http://www.powerenrich.com/keto-ignite-keto-diet-pills-for-increasing-energy-and-fast-weight-burner/
    keto ignite reviews
    keto ignite supplement reviews
    keto ignite pills reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. True Burn Keto is a weight loss supplement that improves the metabolism of fats in the body, by the way of acetosis. The supplement helps make you thin without much effort. This is what the company says. Just like us, many other people would also wonder how a supplement alone can make you slim. VISIT on http://www.theapexhealth.com/insta-keto-diet-pills-reviews-how-does-it-work/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Velocity Trim Keto is the progressive and powerful weight reduction pills formula, that follows the ketogenic principle. This awesome weight reduction item was created utilizing amazing BHB ketones which are apt enough for shedding down your unreasonable fat substance quickly. This effective stuff helps in starting the ketosis process in your body, causing a person to lose bodyweight effectively. Velocity Trim Keto Diet is created dependent on the keto diet to end the sugar creation and facilitates your body to produce the utilization of fat cells for energizing vitality. VISIT on http://www.rushyourtrial.com/coupon/velocity-trim-keto-pills-the-best-way-to-get-into-ketosis/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Read this End of Gout Review to identify the natural methods you can get rid of the pain. The End of Gout is a simple 7-day plan that can be easily followed without any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Read this End of Gout Review to identify the natural methods you can get rid of the pain. The End of Gout is a simple 7-day plan that can be easily followed without any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoy a couple of from the Information which has been written, and particularly the comments posted! I will definitely be visiting again!
    Home Improvement Write for us

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a really quality post.I find this information through Google Search engine. I read your Article very carefully it is really very informatic Article,I bookmarked your site.
    Fitness "write for us"

    ReplyDelete
  23. So That visitors and readers can easily Understand the concept.
    Beauty + write for us"

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me. Many thanks!
    Home Improvement "Write for us"

    ReplyDelete

  25. How do some insiders achieve decent Keto Advanced Fat Burner hand-outs? I might want to give the idea of being liberated. There are a frail amount of mixed messages in that area of interest. So, lesson learned. Keto Advanced Fat Burner wasn't worthy of this sort of praise. It's what you'll receive with Keto Advanced Fat Burner. It is how to cope with Keto Advanced Fat Burner.


    Keto Advanced Fat Burner

    ReplyDelete
  26. There should be a high degree of concurrency between day trader focus in the long run and what is happening for the rest of the day in the long-term perspective. Conversely, long-term trending does not help in short-term trading. Understanding the entire trading scenario requires a holistic view. Focusing on one currency for technical trading ensures that you have complete knowledge. Master them one at a time rather than attempting en masse comprehension. https://www.reviewengin.com/trade-juice-review/

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin